Blockchain Online Gaming World: What You Need To Know
Blockchain Online Gaming World
Online blockchain gaming is a gameplay that utilizes blockchain technology and allows players to own and trade their in-game items as Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs). These online blockchain games often have a play-to-earn model(P2E), where players earn crypto or other digital assets on the gaming platform. Additionally, unlike traditional games, this type of gaming is more immersive unique and allows for transparency. This is because crypto based games have different gameplay mechanics. For example, players can own and trade land in virtual worlds. Similarly, all transactions are recorded on a blockchain, a decentralized ledger that can be audited publicly. While blockchain in gaming is still a new concept, it has gained popularity. It has also revolutionized the gaming industry by giving players more control and ownership of their virtual assets, enabling them to become beneficiaries of the game’s economy. This article will examine blockchain based gaming and how it works.
What is Blockchain Technology?
Suppose you are new to this side of the world and wonder about blockchain technology. Don’t worry; we've got you covered. It is not rocket science but rather a database where all cryptocurrency transactions are recorded. You can think of it like a crypto bank.
All transactions recorded on the blockchain are visible to anyone in the network, promoting trust and accountability. In addition, Blockchain is not controlled by any single entity or a central authority such as a bank (decentralization). Instead, it is maintained by a network of computers.
It is also essential to note that blockchain technology uses cryptographic techniques to ensure secure transactions. This safety measure makes it highly resistant to fraud and tampering. Similarly, once a transaction is added to the blockchain, it cannot be altered or deleted. This is because immutability makes the blockchain a tamper-proof record of all transactions. Immutability refers to the unchangeable and permanent nature of transactions and records stored on the blockchain. It also ensures the record of ownership is permanent and secure, giving players true ownership of their in-game assets.
Several blockchains are used in gaming platforms, including Ronin, Worldwide Asset eXchange (WAX), Immutable X, Polygon, and Hive. Now that you know about blockchain, let’s dive deeper and understand how blockchain gaming works. Shall we?
How Does Blockchain Gaming Work?
To answer the question of how does blockchain gaming works, we must look at a few components that make it. For example, the features of online blockchain games, where you can play them and how to get started. Read on.
Non Fungible Tokens (NFTs)
Non-fungible Tokens (NFTs) are unique digital items that represent in-game assets. These tokens are unique and rare. This is because each NFT is stored on a blockchain with its unique identifier; therefore, no two NFTs are the same.
In addition, blockchain gaming companies can make these tokens rare by limiting their supply. For example, they might create a limited number of NFTs for a specific in-game item to make the NFT more valuable and desirable to players.
For instance, in Crypto Kitties, there are limited editions of Fancy Cats. Once the limit for a particular Fancy Cat is reached, no more can be bred. The limited edition of Fancy Cats are rare and valuable collectibles and have the potential to increase in value over time.
Most importantly, NFTs give players complete control and ownership of their in-game items. They can buy, sell, keep, or trade their NFTs on open markets. In addition, these unique tokens can be used across different blockchain games, enhancing their value.
Note that Non-Fungible Tokens are stored on a blockchain, a decentralized ledger that records all transactions. This ensures transparency and security of ownership. Thus, even the game developer cannot take the NFT from the player.
Virtual Events and Tournaments
Online blockchain games often host virtual events and tournaments. These events can range from competitive matches and leagues to special in-game quests and challenges. Similarly, players can compete against one another or another team for prizes. Game developers can host festivals like Halloween or other fun events.
Virtual events and tournaments are excellent ways for gamers to earn real-world rewards or those that can be traded outside the game. Additionally, they allow players to socialize with other players and learn about new games and technologies. They are also a great ay for blockchain game developers to build a community.
Play To Earn(P2E) Model
Play to earn blockchain games enable gamers to monetize the time and skills spent playing. As a result, they can earn cryptocurrency or other digital assets, which can then be sold or traded for real-world money. Blockchain technology makes the play-to-earn model possible, allowing players to own their in-game assets as non-fungible tokens (NFTs). Because the assets are blockchain-based, they can often be used in multiple games or platforms, providing added utility and value.
IOS/ Android/ Web Browser Games
There are many platforms where players can enjoy blockchain online gaming. For example, they can access the games on iOS and Android devices. In addition, they can be played on a web browser.
Many blockchain technology video games have dedicated websites where you can play games directly in your web browser. These websites often provide easy access to the games and information about them. Similarly, some have mobile versions allowing you to play anytime, anywhere. Thus, they offer a smooth and enjoyable experience with responsive controls and touch-friendly interfaces.
For example, a mobile browser can access Axie Infinity, Splinterlands, CryptoKitties, and Alien Worlds. On the other hand, Gods Unchained, The Sandbox, Decentraland, and Upland can be accessed on mobile. Therefore, always ensure you have a fast internet connection and choose games that are well-optimized and designed for mobile play.
Online Blockchain Games
There are plenty of blockchain based games ranging from fantasy, shooting, sports, trading cards to strategy games. There are also Role-playing games (RPGs) and Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) games. All have different rules and gameplay, giving players a diverse and enjoyable gaming experience. Some of the most popular blockchain technology video games include;
- Axie Infinity. Axie Infinity is a digital pet community where gamers buy formidable and cute creatures – called Axies – and use them to battle, breed, and trade. Sky Mavis, a Vietnamese Studio, developed the game, which is built on the Ethereum blockchain. Players can earn The "SMOOTH love potion" (SLP) by completing tasks in the game, breeding Axies, and battling them. The game has been praised for its innovative play-to-earn model and its large and active community.
- CryptoKitties. CrptoKitties is one of the world’s first blockchain games developed by Canadian studio Dapper Labs. It is centered around players who buy, sell, breed, and collect unique virtual cats called CryptoKitties. Each CryptoKitty is an NFT, meaning it is unique and cannot be replicated. Similarly, players can crack puzzles alongside other players and play games in the kitty verse. The online blockchain game also has a strong and engaged community of players and collectors who actively trade CryptoKitties in the marketplace.
- Decantraland. Decantraland is a 3D virtual world browser-based platform where players buy, sell, and trade land and other assets in the game's metaverse. It is the first decentralized metaverse and is also known for its concerts and community-driven events. Decantraland was launched in 2020 and is governed by a decentralized autonomous organization (DAO), where users submit proposals and votes. Similarly, the game runs on the Ethereum blockchain and uses MANA tokens.
- Gods Unchained. Gods Unchained is a free-to-play, digital trading card game where players collect and trade cards to battle other players. This online blockchain game provides real ownership over in-game items by turning them into ERC-721 tokens/NFTs. In addition, players can earn cryptocurrency (GODS) by winning matches, completing quests, and selling their cards on the open market. Launched in 2018, the game already has 52 million worth of cards already exchanged. Additionally, it is one of the most popular play-to-earn tactical card games on the blockchain.
- The Sandbox. The Sandbox game enables players to build, own, and monetize their gaming experiences using SAND, the main utility token of the platform. The game is divided into LAND, unique digital plots of land that players can buy and sell. Gamers can use their LAND to build games, create experiences, and host events. The Sandbox also has a marketplace where players can buy and sell NFTs, such as game assets, avatars, GEMs, and other items.
- Splinterlands. Splinterlands is an online collectible card game that was released in 2020. In this online blockchain game, players collect and trade cards representing various creatures and spells and use them to engage in strategic battles. Splinterlands is built on the Hive Blockchain and uses it to represent in-game cards as non-fungible tokens (NFTs). Each card is a unique, tradable digital asset. The game’s native cryptocurrency is "Dark Energy Crystals" (DEC), used for transactions, trading, and rewards within the platform.
- Alien Worlds. Alien Worlds is a metaverse game where players explore different planets, play and build together to collect NFTs and compete for Trilium (TLM). Trillium is the fungible token that powers the blockchain based game. Typically, all core gameplay includes the mining game, missions game, and future game actions such as fighting and quests. Aliens Worlds has many planets, each with its resource strategy and games, and players vote for their planetary government with the power of their staked Trilium. In addition, the game runs on the Ethereum, WAX, and Binance Smart Chain blockchains.
Other online blockchain games players can enjoy are Sorare, Benji Bananas, League of Kingdoms, Upland, Undead Block, and so much more.
Blockchain Gaming Coins
Crypto based games use unique blockchain gaming coins to enable players to purchase in-game items, such as virtual land, assets, items, or characters. Similarly, these coins represent true ownership of player in-game assets.
Often, crypto games use blockchain gaming coins to reward players for their participation, achievements, or contributions to the game ecosystem. As mentioned before, each game has a unique token with different purposes and qualities.
Some of the popular blockchain gaming coins used in the games mentioned above are:
- AXS. Axie Infinity Shards (AXS) is the native cryptocurrency of the Axie Infinity game. It can be used to purchase Axies, land, and other in-game items.
- SLP. Smooth Love Portion (SLP) is yet another blockchain gaming coin earned as a reward for playing Axie Infinity. In addition, players can buy, sell, and trade it on cryptocurrency exchanges or within the ecosystem's marketplace.
- MANA. MANA is an ERC-20 token used to purchase LAND, wearables, and other digital assets in the Decentraland world. In the metaverse, gamers can earn MANA rewards for playing games or participating in events.
- GODS. GODS is the token used in the blockchain based game Gods Unchained. It can be used to buy cards, participate in events, and engage in the game's economy.
- SAND. This blockchain gaming coin is an ERC-20 token that powers The Sandbox metaverse. Players use SAND to purchase LAND plots, which can then be used to build virtual experiences, such as games, shops, and art galleries.
- DEC . Dark Energy Crystals (DEC) is the in-game currency of Splinterlands, a digital collectible card game built on the Hive blockchain. It is used to purchase or rent cards in the game.
- Trillium (TLM). Players use this blockchain gaming coin in Alien Worlds for mining, staking, trading, and governance. They can also use it to engage in battles.
There are many dimensions to blockchain online gambling, and online gambling blockchain is one of them. The gambling industry has not been left behind; it has also incorporated blockchain technology in its gameplay. For instance, players can use cryptos such as Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Ethereum to play their favorite casino games such as slots, blackjack, or poker.
Just like in blockchain online gambling that offers transparent and secure transactions, that’s still the case in online blockchain gambling. As a result, players love crypto casinos because of their safety, lower fees, fast deposit and withdrawal speed, and, most importantly, provably fair games.
In addition, to give players a taste of both worlds and a unique gambling experience, online casinos allow gamblers to use credit cards to deposit crypto and play their favorite games. To enjoy this fascinating experience, read about the Bitcoin casinos with credit card deposit option to understand how deposits and withdrawals work and if it’s something you’d love to try.
The Cost of Joining Blockchain Online Gaming
The cost of joining blockchain online gaming varies depending on the game. For example, video games such as Axie Infinity and Gods Unchained are free to play. This means you can play the game without incurring any cost.
On the other hand, other blockchain technology video games will require players to purchase in-game assets such as characters, weapons, or land (these assets can be purchased with cryptocurrency or fiat currency). In addition, their cost varies depending on the game and the asset's current market value or currency.
For Instance, you can create an account and explore the Decentraland metaverse without any upfront cost. However, to purchase any in-game items, you must have a crypto wallet to access the game’s native currency, MANA.
On the other hand, to play a blockchain based game like CryptoKitties, you must buy a Kitty or breed Kitties. Additionally, you’ll incur ‘gas’ fee to conduct transactions on the blockchain. However, there’s no standard price. Users choose their own starting and ending price when they create an auction for their Kitty, and the price goes down until the Kitty is bought or the auction ends.
Therefore, visit the video game’s website and check their FAQ section or any instructions on the gameplay to understand if you will be required to pay any fees.
Do I Need a Crypto Wallet to Play Blockchain Games?
In blockchain online gaming, most platforms often require players to have a crypto wallet, which they connect to their gaming account to play games. This is because that is the only option to sell, buy, or receive in-game assets. In addition, non-fungible tokens are stored in a crypto wallet, and owning them in your wallet demonstrates your true ownership of in-game assets.
Therefore, you’ll sign up for a compatible crypto wallet with platforms such as MetaMask, Trust, and Coinbase. Create an account by providing the required information and acquire cryptocurrency, i.e, Ethereum, which is commonly used in these gaming platforms. Then,, you can explore and play your game of choice.
On the other hand, some online blockchain games don’t require players to have a crypto wallet. For example, some integrate with popular crypto wallets, allowing players to use existing wallets, which are seamlessly integrated into the game's interface. This reduces the need for players to interact with wallets separately.
For example, Decantraland recommends players to use a Metatask wallet that is integrated into their browser. Once they install the wallet, they can fund it to start playing.
In addition, others enable players to buy in-game assets or currency with traditional fiat currencies (e.g., USD, EUR) rather than cryptocurrencies. This approach removes the initial barrier of acquiring and managing cryptocurrencies.
Similarly, you can participate in blockchain online gaming without a wallet, but unfortunately, you won’t be able to receive rewards or participate in certain events. Thus, if you want to immerse yourself in the game fully, get a crypto wallet.
Therefore, you must check the specific details of the game you're interested in to understand whether you need a crypto wallet.
Blockchain Gaming Companies
Blockchain gaming companies are gaining popularity for their innovative ways of integrating blockchain technology into gaming. Some of these developers include:
- Dapper Labs. Founded in 2018, Dapper Labs is best known for developing CryptoKitties, one of the world’s first blockchain games. The company has also developed NBA Top Shot, a platform that allows users to buy, sell, and trade digital collectibles of NBA players. Dapper Labs also has platforms, such as UFC Strike and NFL All Day, that allow players to buy, sell, and trade digital collectibles of UFC fighters and NFL players. The company has a strong record of innovation, i.e., it was named one of the world’s 50 most innovative and number 1 gaming companies of 2022.
- Sky Mavis. Sky Mavis is a technology company that creates decentralized applications and services. They specialize in information technology, blockchain, video games, and more. They are best known for developing Axie Infinity. In addition, the blockchain gaming company has developed Ronin, an EVM blockchain crafted for developers building games with player-owned economies. Sky Mavis also has a Mavis Ecosystem with all the tools you need to build and scale blockchain games.
- Animoca Brands. Founded in 2014 and based in Hong Kong, Animoca Brands is a software company that builds, publishes, and distributes products and technologies on web3. The company aims to create decentralized economies around digital ownership through blockchain technology. Similarly, it has partnered with over 400, including Dapper Labs and Yuga Labs. Animoca Brands is committed to building the new internet powered by blockchain technology and Web3.
- Immutable. This blockchain gaming company is an industry-leading developer and publisher of web3 games on Ethereum. It also focuses on giving players true ownership of their digital, in-game assets. Immutable was, founded in 2018, and is making blockchain online gaming more accessible and enjoyable for everyone. One of the company's most notable projects is Gods Unchained.
- Mythical Games. Mythical Games is a game technology company led by industry veterans behind the success of games such as Call of Duty and World of Warcraft. The platform's main aim is for players to become stakeholders in the game's economy and give them ownership of their digital collections. In addition, it opens new revenue doors to players and developers, allowing them to tap into the value of time and money they have already put into the game. Mythical Games has also developed Blankos Block Party, a popular blockchain-based multiplayer game.
- The Sandbox. The Sandbox is a blockchain-based virtual gaming platform where players build 3D games and worlds using its native utility token, SAND, and other non-fungible tokens (NFTs). Additionally, the Ethereum-based metaverse allows players, game artists, and designers to create assets and experiences using VoxEdit and the Game Maker software. The experiences such as games and art galleries can become a source of passive income.
Other Notable companies include Decantraland, Yuga Labs, Gala Games, Solulabs, and more.
Benefits of Blockchain Online Gaming
Blockchain Online gaming offers several benefits over traditional gaming, including:
- Blockchain gaming gives players true ownership of their in-game assets. As a result, they can buy, sell, and trade their assets on open markets. Ownership is a significant benefit over traditional gaming, where players typically have no ownership over their in-game assets.
- Crypto based games utilize blockchain technology, allowing for more secure and transparent transactions. This is because all transactions are recorded on the blockchain, thus making it difficult for fraud or manipulation.
- Blockchain technology video games allow players to earn cryptocurrency by playing the game. This can be a great way to monetize your time and skills. In some cases, players can even earn enough cryptocurrency to cover their gaming expenses.
- One of the most incredible benefits of blockchain online gaming is that it is typically decentralized, meaning that a single entity or central authority does not control it. This can make NFT mobile games more resistant to censorship and fraud.
- Users lose their in-game purchases when a traditional online gaming platform shuts down. On the other hand, with crypto based games, NFTs exist independently of any gaming platform and are stored on the blockchain.
- Online blockchain games often have a strong community of players participating in decision-making processes, such as voting on new game features or rules, creating a more engaged and invested player base.
- Blockchain online gaming is often interoperable, meaning gamers can take their assets from one game to another. This is because the video games are typically built on the same blockchain network. Similarly, it allows players to build up a collection of assets they can use in multiple games.
The Future of Blockchain Online Gaming
The future of blockchain online gaming looks promising, seeing as it has revolutionized the gaming industry so far. For example, more and more game developers are expected to adopt blockchain technology, leading to even more thrilling, immersive, and exciting games. In addition, there could be Free to Play to Earn (F2P2E) games that don’t require players to participate without burying any Non-Fungible Token, yet allowing them to earn crypto or other rewards.
Similarly, players may have more power and ownership over their in-game assets. As a result, the economies may evolve into more complex systems involving jobs, property ownership, and even taxation models, thereby making virtual worlds more akin to real-world economic systems. Blockchain gaming companies might also develop more advanced tokens or partner more with each other or blockchain startups, leading to unique and rich game experiences. While challenges like scalability and regulation remain, the innovations and successes so far indicate a fertile ground for future growth.
Blockchain technology video games offer players unique and exciting gameplay compared to traditional games. These crypto based games utilize blockchain technology and enable players to own, trade, or sell their in-game assets. In addition, these games have non-fungible tokens (NFTs) to represent in-game assets like characters or items. And because all transactions and ownership records are publicly verifiable on the blockchain, transparency and security are ensured. Thus, game lovers can choose from various blockchain-based games, i.e, Axie Infinity, The Sandbox, CryptoKitties, Gods Unchained, and more. These are played on mobile browsers that support iOS and Android devices. In addition, there are also blockchain gaming coins that allow players to buy in-game items or receive certain rewards. For example, Decantraland uses MANA, while Alien Word uses Trilium.
Similarly, blockchain gaming companies such as Dapper Labs, Animoca Brands, Immutable, and Sky Mavis have developed sophisticated and engaging games catering to various players. To participate, you must confirm if the gaming platform requires a crypto wallet or an advance asset purchase. Note that some crypto games are free to play, meaning players won’t incur any costs. Blockchain online gaming is still a relatively new industry but is growing rapidly. For this reason, the future of blockchain gaming is promising as more and more gaming developers adopt blockchain technology.